Friday, December 29, 2017

The Shadow Child, Joseph A. Citro

This gothic mystery started slow, grew on me in the middle, and then went in a direction I didn't care for. Citro specializes in Vermont/New England and tall tales involving horror and the supernatural, both in his fiction and non-fiction.

I'm not, generally speaking, into horror. I prefer justice. But what I found most interesting was a statement in his bio at the end in which he describes his early fascination, growing up, with the woods and mountains of Vermont as both rustic comfort and the Unknown, so there's this sort of mesmerizing blend throughout of L.L. Bean Catalog and creepy horror. You get the feeling of people living on the edge of something amoral or downright evil: something out of the control of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment