Saturday, November 4, 2017

Brain Dead, Ellen Dreyer

This is a mystery that grew on me and I ended up really enjoying it. I loved Timmie and Murphy, who are smart, fast-talking, joke cracking can-do people who reminded me of Julia Spencer-Fleming's Clare and Russ, even though the romance ends up being secondary to the main story. Dreyer has a background (if I remember correctly) as an ER trauma nurse, and the novel is chock-full of medical thriller detail. The complexity of the main relationships, particularly between Timmie and her aging father with Alzheimer's, was handled with deep insight and sensitivity. I also thought it was brilliant that Timmie (an alcoholic's daughter) and Murphy (a recovering alcoholic himself) walk a fine line: attracted to one another, but wary, and with good cause, of getting involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment