Friday, September 8, 2017

The Night Strangers, Chris Bohjalian

Contemporary paranormal mystery/suspense. A family in the wake of trauma moves to a creepy house in small town New England where the eccentric residents are way too friendly.

What is probably most striking is that the multiple POV narration includes extensive 2nd person present ("You do this; you remember that," etc.), which I found distracting rather than engaging. It also seems to me that there are two main story lines, and while you'd expect cross-over points, they really feel independent of each other. The book starts with a fantastic description of the house and a small door nailed shut with 39 iron bolts, but this ultimately felt under-utilized.

I did get more into the book as I kept reading. At its best, I felt the book worked as a metaphor for a family dealing with trauma.

No comments:

Post a Comment