Monday, February 27, 2017

A Dangerous Deceit, Marjorie Eccles

Click image for B&N link
I had read Eccles' The Firebird's Feather previously without falling in love with it, but I really enjoyed A Dangerous Deceit. The plot of the book takes place in 1927, and concerns lingering secrets from 1900.

I find Eccles' style very heavy on description, which seems like it would be a good thing--it made me realize where the T.E. Kinsey book felt thin--but there is so much detail and backstory that scenes become labyrinthine. It can be hard to follow the dialogue or action of a scene with so many detours, and the next thing I know I'm preoccupied with trying to remember whether it's the sergeant or the captain who has a scar, or orange hair, or both, and I have no idea what they're talking about. Still, given a choice, I'll take more period detail over less.

Having fought my way past the halfway point, however, I picked up speed. Possibly because by then I finally had a grasp of who everybody was and how they were related or unrelated to each other. The last chapters were downright page turners, although I was feeling very happy that I had "solved" the 3rd murder ahead of time, only to discover no conclusive answer is ever given (bodies #1 and #2 do get explained). Serves me right, I suppose, for being smug. I was a bit put out. Always a risk when you guess the mystery: I still prefer my solution to Tana French's In the Woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment